Precision Smile Dentistry and Dr. Yousaf treat many a chipped tooth in the Stafford VA area. A chipped tooth is a tooth not of a natural state of being. A chipped tooth is unsightly, uncomfortable, and even painful. A chipped tooth can be caused by biting down on hard foods, decay in the tooth, or a blow to the mouth. It is usually a sudden occurrence and can be a stressful event.
Chipped teeth are one of the most common dental injuries. Most chipped teeth can be repaired by reattaching the broken piece of tooth enamel or by bonding a filling or a crown to the broken tooth. Contact Precision Smile Dentistry in Stafford VA as soon as possible to treat your chipped tooth, relieve your pain, and prevent further injury from occurring.
Treatment for a chipped tooth depends on the severity of the injury. Dr. Yousaf will assess your particular situation and discuss with you the best treatment options. For injuries that are:
• Minor. The damage is primarily cosmetic and the tooth may just need to be smoothed over and polished to look normal again.
• Major. The tooth enamel is chipped and missing. A filling, crown, or cap may be needed to restore the tooth to its normal appearance and function and to protect the tooth from further injury.
• Severe. The pulp and/or nerve of the tooth is exposed, causing pain and a chance for infection. Many times, a complete restoration or replacement of the tooth is necessary.
A chipped tooth is not always preventable, but there are a few common-sense behaviors that can minimize the risk of injury to the teeth.
• Avoid chewing hard foods like ice, unpopped popcorn kernels, or candy. Include non-food items like pens or fingernails in the group to avoid.
• Wear a mouthguard when participating in physical activities like sports. Grinding teeth when asleep is another reason to use a mouthguard.
• Schedule and keep regular cleaning appointments where emerging issues like cracks or unusual wear can be identified.
• Be conscientious about maintaining good oral health care habits.