Knowing what to eat after the root canal procedure is a smart move, as proper aftercare is crucial for successful healing. Along with the dos and don’ts, ask your dentist to provide specific dietary recommendations to ensure that you remain on the right track. Take this blog as your initial guide to post-treatment meals. We will walk you through what you can munch on with ease and what to avoid after a root canal.
Food Items You Are Allowed To Eat
Your best bet is to stick to soft foods post-treatment so that there are no triggers to aggravate your healing. Here is a detailed list of some tasty options:
- Scrambled Eggs: Consider them your daily protein punch to start your day in full swing. Scrambled eggs are quick, easy to prepare, and oh-so-filling.
- Soups: Do not undermine the goodness of a bowl of soup. It is a liquid packed with the richness of veggies and meat juices and abundant nutrients your body craves for a speedy recovery.
- Greek Yogurt: Sugar-free Greek yogurt is a treat for your taste buds. It is light and creamy, a filling option for a soft food diet.
- Mashed Bananas: If savory is not on your mind, try banana if you want to feel full. Slice or mash them for a sweet treat after a taxing root canal procedure.
- Ice Cream: You can delve into the deliciousness of soft and cold ice cream to temporarily numb the treated area.
- Smoothies: Smoothies work great to deal with sudden hunger pangs. The best part is that they do not interfere negatively with your mouth’s healing.
- Fish: It is a fine option if you are ready to ease back into meat. It is soft and loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids to improve periodontal health.
- Protein Shakes: Protein shakes fill your stomach and support your nutritional needs.
- Broth: A warm bowl of broth is hearty and soothing, especially for the soreness in your mouth immediately after a root canal.
- Applesauce: This fruity option is delicious and easy on the teeth.
Root Canal Aftercare Tips
Diet, without a doubt, plays a significant part in your recovery; however, in addition to that, there are some essential aftercare tips that can help you a great deal.
- Gentle Brushing: Avoid brushing your teeth too aggressively. Take it slow and gently play around the treated tooth area.
- Do not Eat From The Treated Side: Steer clear of using the side of your mouth where the root canal was performed until it receives a dental crown.
- No Alcohol: It is wise to avoid alcohol for at least 3 weeks following the root canal procedure.
- Say No to Smoking: Smoking after the root canal is a major hindrance to a successful recovery.
All in all, the food you eat and your aftercare techniques play a huge role in post-root canal recovery. Choose soft, nutritious foods to support healing. If you want more information about the root canal treatment in Stafford or Washington, do not hesitate to reach out to the experts at Precision Smile Dentistry for an appointment.